Whitewater River Rafting Package
This package was available April - June 2014. There's nothing quite like Yosemite rafting. Splash your way through 16 miles of rugged High Sierra river adventure. The California Whitewater River Rafting Package includes a rafting trip on the Merced river through the sweeping vistas of the Sierra with local experts, Zephyr Whitewater Expeditions.
- Two nights' Deluxe Room accommodations
- One all-day whitewater rafting trip for two people, with local experts Zephyr Whitewater Expeditions
- Lunch and beverages
Merced River - Intermediate Skill Level
- April & May - Class 4 Rapids
- June - Class 3 Rapids
About the Trip:
The Merced river tumbles and twists out of Yosemite Valley, gradually mellowing into a raftable whitewater river just 4 miles below the town of El Portal. It is here that our trips begin. Offering abundant whitewater confined by a narrow corridor, this river is a must for the whitewater enthusiast. Indeed, the Merced river offers one of the best whitewater rafting paddle-boat trips in California.
Zephyr Whitewater is the largest whitewater rafting outfitter on the Merced river, just minutes away from Yosemite Valley. They have more Merced river trip launch dates, and guide more people down Yosemite's Merced river than all the other permitted outfitters combined! You can rest assured that the Zephyr guides know this river well!
Directions / Meeting Time: From Tenaya Lodge, go North on Highway 41, into Yosemite National Park and continue into Yosemite Valley. Immediately take the "All Park Exits" out of Yosemite, and take the Highway 140 route out of Yosemite Valley. You will be following the Merced river all they way to our meeting spot at Indian Flat. Driving time from Tenaya Lodge is about 1.5 hours.
Trips meet at 9:30am promptly at the Zephyr office / parking area next to Indian Flat Campground on Highway 140, just outside the Yosemite Park Highway 140 entrance, and about 3 miles downstream from the town of El Portal. The trip ends at 5:00pm back at the office.
What is Provided:
- Wetsuits if needed ( usually needed into early June)
- All Rafting Equipment, Including Life Jackets & Helmets
- Full Deli-style Lunch
- All-day Parking
- Bus Shuttle Back to Your Car
- Cold Beverages after the Trip
- Viewable Photos of Your Raft for Purchase after the Trip
What to Bring:
- Shorts, Swim Suit
- Tennis shoes or River Sandals
- Sunglasses with Leash
- Light Windbreaker
- T-shirt or Long-Sleeve Shirt
- Wool Socks- stays warm when wet
- Hat or Visor with Leash (You will be wearing a helmet, which needs to fit over the hat.
- Camera (There will be a professional photographer taking photos of your trip, which may be purchased after the trip)
Arrive 9:30 a.m. or before at our office next to Indian Flat Campground. See trip details for directions
Park cars, assemble, hand in release forms or fill them out if you did not bring them already filled out
Hand out wetsuits, safety talk, and load up in rafts (we launch right across the highway from our meeting spot)
Lunch around 1:00 on river
Start rafting again around 2:00, and continue on down into the Gorge below Briceburg
Around 3:30 we hit Corner Pocket and Split Rock rapid...plenty of excitement
Arrive at take-out around 4:00...load up in bus, and ride back to Indian Flat Campground by 5:00